Over the weekend of October 13th and 14th 2007, Bromsgrove School in Worcestershire were given the Freedom of Llanwrtyd. There was a full weekend of celebrations, beginning with an exhibition of pupil's artwork at Bromsgrove Hall. Beating the Retreat on Dolwen Field by the bands of the Powys AFC and Ysgol Dolafon. A concert in Bethesda Chapel by pupils of Bromsgrove School with guests Builth Male Voice Choir.
Sunday saw a Civic Service in St James Church, followed by a parade through town and the conveyance of the 'Freedom' scrolls outside the War Memorial Institute. This was followed by a Civic Lunch in Victoria Hall.
Following the Declaration of War with Germany on September 3rd 1939, the pupils of Bromsgrove School in Worcestershire were evacuated to Llanwrtyd Wells. Bromsgrove School was requisitioned by the War Office, and with the bombing of major towns and cities throughout Great Britain; it was thought the children would be safer in a more rural area. The boys from this 400-year-old senior school were housed and taught in the Abernant Lake Hotel. Parents of these pupils were also gravely concerned for the safety of their younger sons, and at their request Bromsgrove Junior School was born.
The Junior School opened in September 1940 at Llanwrtyd Hall for pupils aged between 6 and 12 years old. Other premises were used as classrooms including Ardwyn House, Lasswade Country House Hotel, the Granary Warehouse behind the Bakery and the Sulphur Water Spring at Dol y Coed. The children remained in Llanwrtyd Wells until 1944.
As a thank you, the Bromsgrovian Club presented a sum of money towards the building of the Bromsgrove Hall here in Llanwrtyd Wells, and in 1990, a reunion was organised to mark the 50th anniversary of the birth of Bromsgrove Junior School.
Offering the Freedom of the Town to Bromsgrove School is to mark the very close association there is between the school and the people of Llanwrtyd Wells, long may that association continue.